View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
AnneS

It's been thirteen years since I played Overseer. This and Under A Killing Moon were two of my favourite games as a teenager when I first got into adventure games, but I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed spending time with Tex.

(Before anyone asks about the obvious oversight, I never got to play The Pandora Directive growing up. Living in rural Australia, games were not always easy to come by, and my brother and I never saw it at retail. Since this was before internet shopping was widespread, this meant we missed out. For years, it was my adventure game Holy Grail - thank goodness for GOG. I still haven't played it, but that's because I want to choose a time when I can devote myself to the experience without any distractions.)

I had to rush through Day One last night as I'm going to be away from my computer for the next few days. (I needed a couple of hints to get through it so fast, notably for the domino puzzle. I suck at those things.) The other thing I'd forgotten was just how fiddly the interface can be - Fien is right about making sure you look into every nook and cranny. Make sure to check the inside of every draw and the underside of every desk! It's both frustrating and kind of fun to hunt for clues like a real detective.

My favourite part of the Tex Murphy games was always the dialogue system - choosing the general tone gives you control over the conversation, but you never know exactly what Tex will say. The dialogue is as funny as I remember it, and there are plenty of in-jokes here for people familiar with the other games in the series.

I'm now frustrated all over again that this is the last game in the series, especially given ... er, and I'll stop there to avoid spoilers.