View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Fien
Senior *female* member

Default AG Community Game Playthrough - Tex Murphy: Overseer

The client is drop-dead gorgeous. Her father is just plain dead-of an apparent suicide. She’s certain he was murdered and is willing to do anything to prove it. Tex Murphy, the P.I., is willing to do almost anything to make rent.

Welcome to the Overseer Community Playthrough, fellow adventurers! Overseer is the fifth, and last, game in the Tex Murphy series. It is essentially the story of the first Tex game Mean Streets retold.

For those of you who have never played a Tex Murphy game, here’s some very basic info. Tex lives in futuristic San Francisco. The year is 2041 or thereabouts. There has been a Third World War, a nuclear one, with the result that the population now consists of “normal” people and mutants. We’ll get to meet several mutants. Rumor has it that Chelsea, Tex’ wannabe girlfriend, is a mutant too, but you’d never know it from the looks of her.

My Overseer box came with a led light construction taped to the inside of the box, which was supposed to shine or flash through the little hole on top of the tower. This fragile construction was already damaged when it arrived and I never saw it work. Anybody here who owns a box with a properly functioning led light?

More info.The unofficial Tex Murphy web site has lots of information, screenshots, patches, help to get the game running on modern machines, etcetera. http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/

Navigation and interface. This is one game where you need the manual. Moving in the 3D world is kind of cumbersome at first, especially compared to modern 3D games, and it’s also different from the navigation in UAKM and Pandora. Always remember to look behind, under, and inside things. It’s very easy to miss stuff. Just opening a drawer is not enough, you may have to raise/lower your eye level, look up/down. In short, manoeuver yourself in a position where you can see every nook and cranny. Which is not as realistic as it sounds, because you can open doors across the room and pick up objects from a distance, as long as the doors and objects are in plain view.

Entertainment versus Gamer mode. Easy or hard puzzles. See the manual In my opinion, everybody should be free to choose their own level. AFAIK most puzzles are identical; the main difference is a time limit in Gamer mode.

Spoiler tags. Please use them when appropriate, for instance when discussing puzzles. And please don’t discuss episodes we haven’t played yet.

We have 5 days (till Monday 26th) to finish the first part of our playthrough in eight parts. You’ll know day one in the flashback has ended when you see Chelsea and Tex together again. So, without further ado, let’s immerse ourselves in the fascinating, deep, complicated, and fun story of Overseer!

Quote of the Day:
I guess I’ve always had a certain fascination with private dicks.
Delores Lightbody