View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
maladroid
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

That story made me sad. My sympathies.

As for the task at hand, I have only played a handful of those, so here goes.

Missing (since January) is indeed a very special and intriguing gaming experience. As already mentioned, the puzzle-solving requires some real-life internet search in both existing and "fabricated" pages, some of which have been taken down since, I hear. You can still make progress in the game, but you will miss part of the clue-hunting and you will have to consult a walkthrough as well. STILL, I highly recommend this game along with its sequel Evidence.

Ghost in the Sheet is a quirky, supernatural dark comedy with a unique twist in gameplay as you are required to manipulate objects and solve puzzles using your "ghostly" powers. The story is fun, the writing is ok and the atmosphere retains its horror charm despite the goofiness of the situation. I believe you will have a good time playing it and it only lasts about 8-10 hours, if I remember correctly.

Murder in the Abbey (which I will assume is the American title for The Abbey, by Alchasofa Soft) is based on The Name of the Rose, the seminal murder/mystery by Umberto Eco. It also has many satirical elements but the story and dialogues are well written (if not a bit on the long side) and the cartoonish graphics look quite charming. It is not very challenging puzzle-wise but overall a worthy 20 hour adventure in my opinion. If you also have the book, I would highly recommend you read that too

Portal is a first-person puzzler not to be missed and Drawn is an atmospheric hidden object game which is heavier on the adventure elements than most of its relatives.

Hope you enjoy the ones you'll end up playing.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora