View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #128
7h30n

The thing that disappointed me the most was level design. It was just bland, contrived and with unnaturaly clear division of paths for different characters. On the other hand level design of first Deus Ex feels like levels were made like building a real location and then given to the player for exploration and play. Human Revolution's levels don't promote replayability while original Deus Ex's does. Another thing was the storytelling - I never experienced the feel of being hooked on a story. Something like the talk with Paul in Hangar (in first Deus Ex) that would get me really interested and involving with the story. The theme of conspiracy was there but nothing substantial that I would care about. Furthermore pacing was also strange. First Deus Ex was flawed in that regard also but in this one is noticably irksome.

Those 2 things in my opinion really hurt the single player experience. Same thing happened when I played Alpha Protocol. Level design in that game is so bad I barely finished it, but Alpha Protocol excells in choices and consequences.

Well this looks like a short review now (although with only negatives pointed out) so I'll give it a verdict:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is among the best games currently in the market

And now I understand why I'm playing first Deus Ex, Silent Hill 2 and old adventure games in this day and age ...

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney