View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #99
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Yahtzee? You trust him? Sorry, but personally I don't waste my time reading one paragraph reviews by a perpetually PMSing douche crab whiner who has probably never had anyone other than himself touch himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he's like that because he never got comps to the first few E3s and is still holding the torch. (nerds never were able to handle their emotions in a mature manner)

I'm more likely to trust the more than handful of veteran gamers (i.e. those who were in their 20s when the first DX debuted) and those who got their hands on the leaked beta and posted their impressions of it.

I also watched the walkthrough part 1 (leaked beta). I played the first DX back in 2000 and HR feels a lot like it on a gut level, but the 21st century polished and updated version of it.

Screw Yahtzee. I'm going with my gut on this one. And my gut feels good.
Of course, it could just possibly be that Yahtzee's style is largely a construct, or an elaborate joke.

Regardless of that, though, I take issue with your lazy, stereotyped dismissal of Croshaw. Personally I also ignore most of what he writes, but your attack on him is pathetic, cheap and crass. Feel free to disagree with his persona, or to say something sensible and constructive in arguing against his position, but don't just spout made-up rubbish. If you want people to take what you have to say seriously, that is.

1. I'm not sure that whether someone has "been touched" is of any relevance when it comes to their ability to judge video games.

2. Leaving aside your use of the term "nerd" - and does this actually have any great meaning nowadays? (Are people who play video games nerds? If so, isn't everyone on this forum a nerd?) - suggesting that no "nerd" could ever be capable of dealing with emotions in a "mature" manner (whatever that means) is such a sweeping generalisation that it can only be either inherent in your definition (which would be odd), or just silly.

3. Additionally, your definition of "veteran gamer" is odd, if you're judging experience purely on age. There are many, many people who started playing games in the 80s and early 90s who would have had ten years of gaming experience under their belts before Deus Ex was released. There are also lots of articulate, thoughtful people who fall into this category despite only being in their twenties even now.

That said, I agree with you about the coverage of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've actually yet to see anything substantially negative about it, and am looking forward to playing it next week...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Last edited by RLacey; 08-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.