View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Oscar
Senior Automaton

I agree with your main point, the technology we have isn't being used enough in adventure games. I would love to see the kind of graphics we see in games like Crysis 2 for example in a realtime adventure. It seems shooters and RPGs are only allowed to have the cutting-edge graphics. And more hybrids would definitely be good with the freedom of open world RPGs like Gothic or Elder Scrolls mixed with adventure. A PQ version of that would be fantastic.

However, I think there are more adventure games breaking the mold than what you say. Not everything is point and click - there's URU, the new Broken Sword games, the Telltale games, and many adventure games have action. Things are evolving, slowly. I'm not really sure what you're after - do you just want more action and dislike point-and-click?

I think point and click has it's purpose, and it isn't archaic. Actually the mouse came after the joystick in gaming, so controllers are older and more outdated. You couldn't play a Carol Reed or Nancy Drew game with a keyboard or controller. And GTA wouldn't be appropriate with a point-and-click interface either. It's what suits the game.

I haven't heard anyone saying that adventure games need to stay the way they are - that's a pretty dumb thing to say. But I think that saying they need to change denies that there have been brilliant recent adventure games based on the technology and gameplay you say is outdated. If someone put action chases in my Barrow Hill or Carol Reed games, and took away my mouse in order to bring them up to date, I wouldn't touch them.