View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
kgingreen

Default I don't understand why

A game like Police Quest couldn't be recreated with todays technology. It was basically an open world game before there were open world games that involved driving to different locations speaking to various people and solving puzzles.

What has happened to the action/adventure genre? G They are pure action with very little adventure. Games haven't really gone how i thought they would. And why do adventure games need to involve point and clicking nowadays? It just seems archaic. I think people are too set on an adventure game is point and clicking. That has nothing to do with being an adventure game.

Why can't there be a game that involves both puzzle solving and action and a mature story that doesn't involve being a thug(GTA IV). You could pick up various items, combine them. Use various items on different things. Give a certain item to a person at a location to progress the story. Plus have action and shootouts as well. With todays technology you don't have to point and click to do that!

I was really looking forward to LA NOire. The way they advertised it I thought it would be that. But the entire game is focused on interrogation and is a one trick pony. Where is the crime solving? How boring is that? Doing the same thing over and over. Nothing you do has any real effect on the story. It's mindless. It's drama and very little substance. Or you have a pure action game like GTA that involves driving to one location, shoot something, repeat. Or just cause carnage in an open world. Couldn't they mix it up? Be a police officer. Work your way up to detective. Drive around, solve crimes. Have robberies break out. Help an old lady get a cat out of a tree. High Speed chases. Shootouts. Puzzle solving and a main storyline. Getting an item from one location and using it at another to advance the story.

Police quest had a lot of variation. It just wasn't action based. Then they made Swat which was purely action and scenario based and took out everything that made Police Quest good.

Are developers just set in genres? Are these huge companies just so not willing to try someting new that we are stuck with the same boring mindless games over and over again?

I think I played 10 games this gen that were exactly like GTA IV. But people say they are differnet because the setting is different when the gameplay is exactly the same. Or I played an "adventure" game that was basically the same point and click game I played 30 years ago.

Maybe Action/Adventure games would sell if they were actually new and entertaining?? Maybe if someone actually made an action adventure game that involved an open world and mature themes, and puzzle solving as well as action it would be a success. I can't name one game like that. You either have action games. RPG's. Or Adventure games. Uncharted 2 tried some puzzles. That's the closest thing i've seen. But it's very linear. Police Quest wasn't. YOu could do things in the order you wanted. It was actually a very complex game. It was just dated. They could spice it up and add action and get rid of point and clicking while still keeping the puzzle solving.

I was reading a thread the other day and it's irritating how close minded people have become. They were basically saying this can't be done and that adventure games need to stay the way they are. Why? And we wonder why this genre is dead.

Last edited by kgingreen; 08-09-2011 at 02:48 AM.