View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #18
Luna Sevithiainen
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
I vaguely remember a completely nonsensical trip to the centre of the world (in book 2) for no particular reason other than that the game wanted you to.
Actually, there was a reason for it, the main quest in the game is to go there and find the solution for the main problem.
Spoiler:
There is however that plot twist that when you get there you find out that the anchor stone isn't what you are looking for/will not solve the problem.

So yeah, I can see how you can remember it as nonsensical (and, I agree, it is a bit roadblock-ish), but it wasn't for no reason.

I'm not sure whether to agree with what you say about 2 and 3 being less of a contiunuous story...I have only played 3 for about half of the game, and I think I agree with you on that one. It feels a lot more incoherent, and it never really appealed to me enough to continue playing. I usually like playing the bad guy, but the puzzles just made it too annoying.

The second one...I think I can see why you feel about that, and I think it has something to do with the main goal of the game being to simple and over-arching: save Kyrandia. The game just exists of finding the way to do that, to get where you want to get the stuff you need to do that etc. There are many different locations and events to finally get you from a (beginning of the game, oh noes Kyrandia is disappearing) to b (the end, where you reached the goal). I agee that some locations, puzzles etc. could easily be considered to just have been put in there as roadblocks, but on the other hand, if you would leave out all you could consider a roadblock, I think there wouldn't be much of a game left. (Of course this would lead to the discussion whether not every adventure is a set of roadblocks, but I'll stay out of that for now). Lots of weird events strung together, yes, but also (in my view) still part of the main quest.

I do see now how you feel book 1 is more continuous, with the largely being connected it does feel more like you stay in one world, one story. (Sorry, I can't put it into words very well at the moment). You are not dropped into different scenes all the time, as happens in book 2. Still, that being dropped somewhere new all the time gave the game that high-paced feeling, which isn't necessary a bad thing. Especially when you are in a race against time.

Last edited by stepurhan; 07-24-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Fixing spoiler