View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #16
Luna Sevithiainen
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Puzzles are tedious, but the rest of the series suffers from the same problem.
I agree with you on the first part. The first time I played Kyrandia 1 was when I was very young, and with my dad doing most of the thinking. I have no memories in which I found the puzzles illogical back then (I can't say I have a very accurate and complete memory from that time though). But when I played it again I asked myself multiple times how on earth I would ever have found it out if I hadn't played it before.

I didn't really have that with Kyrandia 2. I think I played that for the first time a few years at most after Kyrandia 1, again with my dad, and I remember that we got through the game pretty easily together, and also when replaying I didn't have those 'I'll do this because I remember that was the solution but I have no idea how I would have known otherwise' moments.

I also think the pacing was a bit higher in 2, with a lot less of those endless forests, with a lot more to see in each scene, so it didn't feel like I was wasndering aimlessly to see if I hadn't missed anything in one of those many forest scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
The two last games have a very different style - some people say unique but I'd just call them weird.
Hmm...I can see how 3 has a completely different style, but I don't see that much difference between 1 and 2. Or it must be because of the difference I mentioned before. Kyrandia 1 definately has its charms, with the endless world you roam in, and a really nice maze (tedious maybe, but coming out safely always gave a feeling of accomplishment), but I think that 2 played a lot easier and felt a lot more like a standard adventure to me. Maybe that would even make Kyrandia 2 less unique, although it does have some unique gameplay elements. On the other hand, Kyrandia 1 also had those unique gameplay elements...