View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Interplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I think part of the issue comes with the fact that the people who made the older, more ambitious adventure games were just using what was available to make a narrative game (like people who made text adventures before them). Now that games have progressed, it's easier to create more open narratives that don't rely on the old adventure game tropes and so people who want to make more mature and ambitious games are able to work in different genres
I think this post really gets to the heart of the issue. As gaming and gamers have aged, I would argue that there is a wider selection of mature games out now than ever before. The problem is, they're not adventure games. It's not hard to find seriously minded, grown-up subject matter in other genres. Just look at games like Red Dead Redemption, the Mass Effect series, or the upcoming puzzle game Catherine. Adventure gamers yearn for a good story, and so they've been forced to expand their horizons a little bit. Just look at the angst that has been caused on these boards by Portal 2 and L.A. Noire. Are they adventure games? It's in the eye of the beholder, but I tell you what: adventure gamers want those games to be adventure games because their stories and characterizations are so much stronger than anything in modern traditional point-and-click games. Unfortunately (in my eyes), adventure games are becoming increasingly comedic and episodic (which is another false step, imo). However, for people willing to leave their comfort zone, it's a great time to be a gamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley View Post
So we get wondrous technology squandered on idiotic crap... for example have you seen this?
I'm going to go waaay out on a limb here and bet that the poster has never played GTA IV if they consider it "idiotic crap". It is another example of the wonderful "mature" storytelling available in other genres. And, no, I don't mean "mature" as in boobies and violence, I mean "mature" as in complex and thoughtful themes and characters.