View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Axelfish

So I guess Sierra's serious games would be something like the Phantasmagoria series.
Ah, yes, Puzzle of Flesh-what a game! It was at times so heavy-handed, but possessed the charm of a "bring out the popcorn" B-movie.

Serious games don't really work, because I think gaming is a type of hobby that attracts audiences that don't look for quality dramas, and because the inferior voice acting and dodgy script is far too common in games of this type, and sells the drama short.

Heavy Rain was an enjoyable experience for me, but often it was too emotionally overwrought,was brought down by the VA and in a nutshell it's just a romp through thriller cliches, made impressive by the fact that it's a video game, thus lending it an extra measure of immersion.

I often hear from cynical gamers how disappointed they are that games are becoming more and more serious, needlessly complex and clumsy just for that extra dose of movie realism.
Remember how you could carry all the weapons you want in say, Half-Life or Doom? Then Halo came along and said: why not, carry only two weapons at once: it's more realistic. Well, sure it is, but why should a game that has you killing aliens strive for realism?
In fact, I'd say that the most enjoyable games are those that are far removed from reality,and where mature issues, if present are handled with care and wit, because that's what makes them charming and unique.

Just for instance, you don't see worms blasting each other with dynamite and grenades in real life, right? Well, thank Team 17 for making it "real" on your monitors.

I guess I'm just trying to say that all this pursuit of realism and maturity in games is not really needed, because it dilutes the gaming experience and the way these things are handled sometimes hurts immersion more than it helps.

Last edited by Axelfish; 07-21-2011 at 02:04 AM.