View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Annacat
Myst-loving person

I think it would be important to mention Rand and Robyn Miller. Regardless of whether one personally likes or dislikes Myst, it would be difficult to argue against the idea that the game set a new tone for the genre, influenced the intersection of game software and new technology, and inspired a huge army of imitators during the 1990s and early 2000s. Not everyone loves Myst, but it was influential.

I also think Jane Jensen is important, because I think that her work - particularly the Gabriel Knight series - has really influenced how stories are told in games, emphasized quality plot and characterization, and demonstrated the importance of a deep and engrossing virtual world.

I would also give a mention to Jonathan Boakes, who was among the first (although far from the only one) to demonstrate that independent games could achieve both critical and popular success. As fewer and fewer titles are being produced for PC by the big-name developers, particularly in the adventure genre, I think that the rise of these indie developers really points to what the future of the genre will be.