View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #45865
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I don't really understand what you mean, but wasn't that a European Songfestival song? They are supposed to suck!
I mean, if this clarifies, that there are songs like Summer in the City, Yes Sir I Can Boogie, House of the Rising Sun, Kung-Fu Fighting, Crocodile Rock, Down by the River etc.

All these songs, and many more, have versions (from the 60's-70's) that have been "translated" into Finnish. And yes, they all suck. And yes, the Finnish versions are all hits in Finland (not that I'm a huge fan of the originals either, but at least they're the originals, plus they're usually made by quite talented people and have some good stuff in them too, instead of the Finnish versions which are simply taking the music and replacing the song with the song's melody sung inferiorly with dumber lyrics).

Here are examples in Finnish: Nousevan Auringon Talo (House of the Rising Sun - in this one the words are actually the worst part, but of course you can't understand. It's still pretty bad though), Kesäkatu (Summer in the City), Kung-Fu Taistelee (this one luckily is not completely serious but that kinda makes it even worse).

I couldn't find the worst examples on Youtube (although the kung-fu fighting is perhaps one of them), but then I didn't really want to either. The worst (of the examples) would definitely be the versions of Crocodile Rock (which we had to stand through in elementary school for who knows how many time) sung in a high, nasal voice, as well as Yes Sir I Can Boogie, which has the most idiotic lyrics you can get (and nothing about boogie anyways) and its sung by some woman who cannot sing in any way. It's wailing more than singing. That one I had to stand through for a short while yesterday.

Proves one shouldn't listen to music in the radio.