View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
UPtimist
Life and times of...

I haven't played any of these recent AG-influenced games myself, but I feel I can still say something about their influence.

First of all, none of the choices fit in my opinion. I don't think it's really such a pure AG as we're usually talking in these forums. However, with the success of Heavy Rain and LA Noire (unlike the poster above, I wouldn't count Bioware in this category,they are a very different story entirely in my opinion) I believe there is a clear indication that a) there is a market for more than just pure action (in any form, be it shooters or sports or whatever) and b) there is commercial viability in them.

The effect, however, I cannot see being revolutionizing. There has however been a slight trend recently towards more "intellectual content" in games, and I believe these games will influence that. And perhaps there is a little bit of additional interest towards more traditional AGs too thanks to these games.

That, however is very narrow, and the real effect of these games (not a huge one, but effect nonetheless), I believe, is indeed in these type of hybrid AGs, we'll probably see more of them (not truckloads, but some) and also other games might take a little more influence and focus a little more on story, characters etc.

To sum up: nothing revolutionizing, but hopefully a little bit of more content here and there in all kinds of games..