View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Finished the game on Friday. According to the tally at the end it took me just under 7 hours. I enjoyed it overall... really liked how the puzzles are integrated into the story, in general I thought they did a good job of including Layton-type puzzles but tying them (more or less) into the story. I guess the style of puzzle felt like Professor Layton but their presentation and context felt more like traditional adventure game puzzles.

Some of the puzzles were very clever, too. I think my favorite was
Spoiler:
the crossword puzzle type thing at Sonia's.
I also liked having to
Spoiler:
recreate the sketches of suspects based on the witness's physical description of them
and
Spoiler:
figuring out the combination to the suitcase.
Oh, I also liked
Spoiler:
the logic puzzle with the clock parts.

My biggest issue with the game was the pixel hunts, especially while searching an environment for clues. I missed
Spoiler:
Teresa's suitcase
and
Spoiler:
the keypad for Sonia's secret passage
until I asked for hints, which only sort of pointed me in the right direction. In general I thought the hints were all right but I wish they had been contextual, with the informant's hint changing based on how much of the puzzle you'd already figured out. For example, with the
Spoiler:
tarot cards
I got stuck on the last part, and it was annoying to have to go through all the hints for the parts I'd already solved before I could get the one I needed.

Thought the story was just so-so. It had an interesting twist at the end (which I didn't entirely piece together until Red explained it -- although I did manage to scrape by with the indictment). I liked that they set it up for a sequel. I'd play another Red Johnson game.

Oh... I got a little annoyed with some of the QTEs, especially the one
Spoiler:
when Ringo attacks you after you search his toilet.
Sometimes I have to glance at the controller to make sure I'm hitting the right button and couldn't press it in time. I wish it was more like Heavy Rain, where you could mess up once or twice without dying.

Overall I did enjoy it though. Stylish graphics and menus, clever puzzles, decent hint system, kept me entertained and engaged throughout. The objectives list and hints kept me from ever getting too stuck (in spite of the pixel hunts). If I were reviewing it I'd probably give it a 3 or 3.5.