View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #49
rayvio

there's definitely potential for the adventure genre to embrace top quality graphics and to try new and different control mechanics, but sadly to do those well requires a larger budget than is usually devoted to adventure games at present. consequently a lot of attempts to try new things have not gone too well (or have at best had somewhat mixed reactions) so the 'good old ways' are a safe option

personally I'd love to see some new things tried. the control scheme from GK3 worked very well in my opinion, something similar to a 3rd person RPG's controls could also work (obviously you'd have things like "examine" "push" etc instead of "cast fireball" and "spin sword around like a loony") but again, these things can easily backfire if badly implemented and can also put people off of trying them. in a genre that's currently something of a niche market there's a lot of risk of trying these things since alienating the fans is very dangerous when there isn't an army of potential new fans drooling over it
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus