View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #30
kuze
In an evening of July...

I've just finished The Witcher 2, and while I loved it and completely agree with the majority that DA2 is a pathetic piece of brown poo, The Witcher 2 is still flawed.

Balancing seems to be the major issue; the prologue and most parts of the first chapter are hard, which I rather liked. It was refreshing to be playing a challenging RPG where mashing the left mouse button wasn't enough to get through. During the second chapter the difficulty dropped drastically, and taking on any number of enemies or even bosses became a piece of cake. In the third chapter I switched to "hard", but it was still rather easy to beat.

My second issue with the game are, surprisingly, the locations. I would have loved to see more of the world, since the engine is clearly capable to handle anything an art designer could ever desire. There is a lot to see, but with those graphics I just want more. With maybe a little less stone.

Also, I felt like the first Witcher had more charm, I had more possibilities to interact with my friends, while the second Witcher focused too much on politics and politic intrigues, which was rather overwhelming and sometimes a little tiring. The non-existent face animation didn't help either.

On the other hand, there is so much this game just gets right. There are no real quest-fillers, every side-quest is an adventure. Choices do matter most of the time, which is nice and offers a reason to replay the game. The fighting system is beautiful and a definite improvement over the timed clicking of the first game. Finally, the game is drop-dead gorgeous.

In the end, if you liked the first game and its setting, and also have a good gaming rig, I'd definitely recommend buying The Witcher 2. Despite its flaws, it's still one of the best recent RPGs.