View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #28
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
My god! The Witcher 2 is even better than i was expecting, and i'm a massive fan os the first one. Dragon Age 2 is a joke compared with this, Bioware really needs to step up.
Bit of a heated slinging match in the Escapist forums over their official review of the Witcher 2, as it was done by the SAME guy who reviewed DA2 for the site.

The same guy who gave DA2 a perfect score card, is 'alleged' to have underscored The Witcher 2 for 'interface issues' and its steep learning curve. Its like a smack in the face to all the people who absolutely hated DA2 for having no learning curve at all, and lacking much need for human input from start to finish.

I'm certainly of the opinion that some tweaks could improve the interface in The Witcher 2, but provided you pay attention while using it, it does the job. I honestly enjoyed reading the Dandelion delivered commentary on who's who and what's what in the journal. Exposition was culled a little too savagely in Dragon Age 2.

In regards to the combat and its introduction, yeah I picked the Dragon first thing in the first conversation too.. assuming it was a sarcastic dig... joke's on me.

The game really does leave it up to you to learn it, and why not? Its not a difficult system to operate, its only difficult to learn when to use what you're capable of. And don't you feel like you've achieved a little something when you work out how to take down a group of differently armed humans? Every monster fights differently and you need to pay attention. When did you last feel like that when playing a single player game? It's called engaging.

The hilarity in the review is that he bemoans the difficulty and then gripes that Witcher 2's easy difficulty is too easy. Bioware made an ambitious attempt to make everyone swallow easy difficulty as the new normal... Two Fingers to that said CDP and good on them for it.

Also Obama got Witcher 2 as a gift... best (unexpected?) PR stunt ever.