View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #442
3rdFloor

After putting it aside for lack of "proper" free time, I just finished the game and feel it was an extraordinary experience, one that reminded me why I loved adventure games so much when I was younger.

To me, this is where Gray Matter excels where so many others don't:

- Compelling introduction of protagonists and their goals (this is key!)
- Intelligent and progessive relationships between protagonists that make the player care about their fate
- Researched locations and clever link to storyline events
- Puzzles that are story-driven, manageable and fun
- Progress meters that help the player get back on track if need be
- Detailed backgrounds enhanced by subtle, emotional, and artistic use of colors and camera placement
- Highly inspired musical score emphasized on strong themes linking the characters with story events
- Evocative songs adding depth to an already superb presentation

There's something that feels old-school about the game, but that might be caused by Gabriel Knight memories or nostalgia. Actually, the overall themes presented in Gray Matter are more down to earth, so to speak, or perhaps less flashy and more mature than classic GK games. That "restrain" ends up pulling me in much more now than it could have at a younger age.

Beyond anything else, it's the way Gray Matter made me care about Samantha and David that resonated the most for me. I think it's a beautiful and touching tale that works extremely well within an adventure game.