View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
rayvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
hmm, i tried the first game once and couldnt really see what the hype was about. I suspect i should give it another try. It seemed too bland and linear to me, but it must get better..
it does. there's some branching paths later in the game that make for some replayability (there's also one fairly early that makes a few big changes to the next part of the game) plus a few quests have multiple solutions
I'd also suggest making sure you have the enhanced edition, I haven't tried the original release but from what I've heard it was quite hard to see the potential through all the bugs and stuff. I believe there's a free upgrade available

anyway, Witcher 1 is by no means (in my opinion) as strong as DA: Origins, Baldurs Gate or Jade Empire, but it is a fun game with a good story and some interesting characters
downsides are the lack of character customisation, but that's essential to the story since you play a character from a series of books (game takes place at the end of the books and having read them is not essential to understanding the game) and it's also a bit sexist, but again this is apparently largely due to the source material and it's not quite as bad as some reviews make out
you'll also be able to import a Witcher 1 save into the sequel in order to carry forward the decisions made
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus