View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
ZeframCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
Here's the video I promised, I decided to make it into somewhat of a tutorial.
Cheers! That was a very interesting video.

Which means... more questions! Sorry, but I'm a very curious person.

I've been taking a look at several "X vs. Y" YouTube videos about old MIDI music. Which has made me ask myself "which sound card did I have, back then?". I'm pretty sure I had a Sound Blaster 16 card, because whenever I installed a game, I always chose "Sound Blaster 16" as sound device. I must've been something like 8 years old or something, and I can't remember if I tried all of the options and eventually decided that SB16 was the only one that worked, or if I had someone who told me which one I was supposed to pick. I'm thinking it was the former, 'cos no one in my family really knew anything about computers.

But anyway, back to the point. What I was trying to do is trying to figure out what Monkey Island 2 sounded like the first time I tried it on my 486 with Windows 95. I notice that videos titled "Monkey Island 2 on Adlib" and "Monkey Island 2 on SB16" sound practically identical
(Eg: your Adlib section sounds a lot like what is here identified as Sound Blaster).
So, assuming I did own a SB16, would it have sounded like the "Monkey Island 2 on Adlib" videos?

On an unrelated note, I can't help but feel deep fascination for the pioneeristic sound of the PC Speaker. The MI2 opening is even better. I gather whichever chip generated the sound fed to the speaker could only generate one note at a time and couldn't deal well with simultaneous sound events.... I positively love the syncopated rhythm this causes.