View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
laffer

Yeah I agree, only that replaying adventure games, while similar in many ways to watching a good movie more than once, or reading an interesting book several times, still feels more fun to replay than either of those things, in my opinion.

Maybe because adventure games are somewhat of a mix between books and movies... they're generally much longer than movies, with a lot more dialogue, descriptions, things happening... so in that regard, they have more in common with books.
While obviously having nice graphics and sound, and how you control your character in third person and all that is quite reminiscent of movies.

So in a way, they're like a mix of the best of both worlds... I greatly enjoy movies but more often than not (when talking about good movies, obviously) I find myself wishing they were longer and more fleshed out.
And with books, I find myself thinking how cool it would be to be able to actually see and hear everything.

But also, I think because they're interactive, that automatically makes them more interesting to replay, even when you remember everything you need to do in the game... even in those cases, it seems to me to make a big difference just having to actually actively do all those things rather than passively watching a movie again/reading a book over.