View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #18
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
The middle ground is the player character refusing to do stupid actions ("there's no way I'm jumping in there!"). That still affects the immersion for me but not as badly as just ignoring the possibility of death entirely.

That said, any games featuring death should have an auto-save or restart death sequence option.
The middle ground is what I want. Or the Monkey Island way (you know "Goodbye cruel adventure game! ... Nah forget it." or the whole Elaine interrupting Guybrush to say that he couldn't have died).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I prefer not.
I have played and enjoyed games where I've died and the game auto-saved etc (Gemini Rue is the latest example) but I much rather prefer not to die. Having to do such a stealth/shooting or timed sequence again and again and again (since I suck at said elements) is boring imo. I'm glad it's rare in adventure games.
Jelena speaks the Truth. The only time I can appreciate a death scene is that there's the chance of an instant replay despite you having saved or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Yes, but let's be reasonable about it. In Gabriel Knight 1 you had the opportunity to die in a number of places, but they all made sense.
I don't know, I seem to remember near the end there being the chance to die just by going into the wrong room, maybe doing just a little looking around there. That's never logical in my books (in an AG) unless it's clearly warned of beforehand.

I think that the whole point of AGs is the chance to take it easy, to think about the situation and look around etc. I don't think it eats immersion if you give the chance to have a looksie or try different things in a critical situation either (GK1 end comes to mind where I looked at something and then died), as these processes go through your mind in an instant in real life and you can't (or at least I certainly don't) think about an AG as happening real-time but rather as extremely slowed down when you have the chance to interact.

Like when you enter a room and you look at everything. If it takes that long for you to do that in real life then I don't think you're an adventure hero. All the looking happens in an instant, just like there's not really a 10 sec pause while you're thinking about what to say next (though S&M:S2 Ep.4 has a funny scene in that sense).

Ahem, where I was going with this is that if there is a death scene, a) you need to have an instant replay, b) it needs to be warned of beforehand and c) you must have the normal ways of interacting with the world (even if it is just "I don't have time!") as you would if there wasn't a critical situation at hand. Because sometimes it takes time to get a full grip of the situation and if you have just one action to do without fully knowing what's the deal then it's just stupid and unintuitive for an AG.

But it'd be much appreciated that there weren't a death scene at all. Besides, I always feel awful when an AG character dies...

So, I always prefer no death scenes. And if there still must be one, then see above.

P.S. On the other hand, I heard there's an interesting death scene (or rather the aforementioned instant replay option) in a Monty Python game...