View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #45210
UPtimist
Life and times of...

That's one snazzy (it's a word now) and almost-evil shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
But there is one big difference between Geert Wilders and the guy that looked like that house. Geert doesn't blame a people for many problems, but a religion: the islam. He will never go so far as to suggest to deport people or start a war against muslim countries.
Geert's lawyer, who defends him in the trail that is held against him, once advised a law student who asked him a question in a TV program, where she compared Wilders to Hitler, to go and study history instead of law.
This is something that has always bugged me. Is judaism not a religion? Everyone's always talking about how jews are a "race". Like "oh, he's half black, half jewish". I understand that there is a certain "jewish people" thing going on there and the whole original tribes and all that but still. Judaism is first and foremost (especially nowadays) a religion.

And it doesn't matter what it is that Wilders is blaming, be it jews, islam or redheads, it's still the same rhetorics just with a different target and maybe with different goals.

Of course, it wasn't really Wilders that I was talking about in the end either. It was some German bloke. But Wilders' talk was close enough (and it was in Dutch anyways, so of course it's nothing like Hitler...)

Also, I suppose it's the lawyer who should go study history instead of law, he clearly has the law-mentality which prevents him from seeing anything in context and analogy instead of a simple cold fact and black-and-white comparison.