Thread: Dragon Age 2
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #39
haptsonir
BSC, SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderduck View Post
Is this the end of RPGs?
I don't think so. Bioware has been going down this path, away from serious RPGs, ever since the "romances" came to dominate the fanbase of BG2. That's ten years ago. The genre, the rest of it, is still alive - just not in their hands.

Vampire: Bloodlines, Mask Of The Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas are all solid games. Then there are the indies; the Spiderweb Software games, the promising Age Of Decadence. There's a steady trickle, as there ever was, even if it has been a weaker few years for RPGs than the late 90's were.

Quote:
Will we ever see a Baldur's Gate or a Planescape: Torment?
Games that are labours of love instead of cash grabs?
Games that focus on Role Playing elements and strategic fights instead of button-mashing hack and slash?
Not from Bioware, but looking back, this should have been clear a long time ago.

Do you know Age of Decadence? I don't know if it will meet the promise of its design vision, but they are at least attempting to make a proper RPG. The combat demo is promising.

Quote:
Have we (the people who like that kind of games) become obsolete?
I think that, as the game business matures, games will continue to emerge for the niche markets, perhaps more than before. Just as they still sometimes make serious films alongside the Michael Bay summer blockbuster schlock. You'll be disappointed if you expect a serious product from Bayware, however.

Quote:
I won't expect Bioware to save the genre anymore after this unbelievably cheap trick they pulled with this game...
They haven't ever been in a position to "save" the genre, and they've never been needed to do so either.

Last edited by haptsonir; 03-26-2011 at 08:13 AM.