View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #410
laffer

Got the German LE version of this game some time ago now, since it has both English voices and subtitles.

I've played up to the last chapter, going to finish it tonight.

In any case - sadly, I have to say I'm quite disappointed with this game.
It's not that the game is bad by any means, but it has some real issues that makes it much less fun than it could have been, speaking for myself of course.

* I don't really mind the animation of the characters, but I do find a problem that results from it very annoying - it takes too long to look at/pick up/interact with things as the character has to go over and line up perfectly. Gameplay feels slow and sluggish because of this, in my opinion.

* The puzzles are WAY, WAY too easy. I find them easier than the puzzles in many Telltale games, and that should speak volumes. I have to admit I haven't played many modern adventure games at all, except quite a few Telltale ones, so I'm not really up to speed on how adventure games generally are these days concerning this. In any case, never having to think about anything is a bit dull I think.

* Sam's voice - really don't like the voiceacting for this character, which is kind of a big deal since you control her for more than half of the game. I feel her voice doesn't fit her looks at all, she looks like a woman with some attitude but her voice sounds like someone reading a book to children, somewhat.

* Very few hotspots in most areas, and very short and generic responses when looking at them. This is a big deal for me, I've always loved exploring my surroundings in adventure games.
The Gabriel Knight games had plenty of hotspots, and a lot of nice (often funny) responses.

Now for some things I do like about the game -

* The storyline isn't bad. However, I actually did expect something better in a game written by Jane Jensen... it's nowhere near as immersive and exciting as storylines in the Gabriel Knight games.
But when compared to a lot of other adventure games, it's still good and the main reason I'm playing through the game despite my issues with it.

* The background graphics are really good. I've read a lot of comments in this thread saying how the graphics are unimpressive, and I can only assume people are talking about the character animations as I find many of the backgrounds really good looking.

* The music is great, I like most of the tunes in the game. The game does seem to repeat the same tunes a lot, though... but seeing how I enjoy the music so much, I don't really mind that.