View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
millenia
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I think the real problem lies in the fact that HOG's are primarily just random irrelevant objects in a scene that makes no sense. I think if I can tackle that and make a more engaging story and gameplay (as in puzzles that actually are relevant to the game itself), then things could work out.

I've been talking it over with my coworker and we have some interesting ideas that could make the game both casual and hardcore, without relying on the "just add a timer" attitude.
Yeah I dislike regular HOGs precisely of this randomness and messiness. I found out that I can enjoy a good hybrid though, with a real story and some actual puzzles.

I enjoyed 3 Cards games immensely, they had somewhat non linear gameplay and a great plot. On top of that the hidden object part wasn't even a regular list of silly things but rather playing with words. This way finding the objects was actually somewhat fun.

Love & Death: Bitten was rather nice piece also. There were some "real" puzzles here and there and some of the object scenes actually made some sense.

I also played the first Women's Murder Club and while it was okay I found it too much of a HOG to my taste. I heard the sequels would be more adventurish though so I'll give them a chance.

I don't think HOGs should become any less casual, casual games have their market too. But I have nothing against these hybrid adventures. With a good engaging story I am happy they are made hybrids rather than not at all. And sometimes hybrid can bring even a nice twist to gameplay.