View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #401
Len Green

Quote:
Really? Your criticism is that men don't grieve for their wives when they die? If I were a man I'd be really personally offended with that remark. For someone to still be really torn up about losing their spouse three years later is not strange at all. I'm really wondering what kind of men you know.
I don't know whether you're a male or a female threerings not that that is of any importance.
I can only speak from personal experience. I am probably a "bit" older than you – 86 last January and I have experienced very many unhappy demises – both men & women – unfortunately one of the negative fates of aging.
I do not maintain "that men don't grieve for their wives when they die". Out of scores (or more) of cases I know personally, they overcome it quite well in three years & and in most cases much less time than that.
Apart from maybe half a dozen, they have managed to attenuate their grief sufficiently to remarry within one year and not a few even within six months.
I have the good fortune of being married (to the same woman) for 62 years – so far. I don't believe that I would remarry or fall in love again if my wife had died somewhere along the road – but I would not vouch to this hypothetical situation!
The males I have talked about are from most walks of life. Being a Physics teacher myself, most of my family, friends & acquaintances are "professionals", but also business people, workers, etc.
I'm sorry if I've offended you but that is my personal life's experience only – yours maybe different.
It may be romantic to think of men mooning over his wife's dress, and music, and wine & scent, and who knows what, three years after she has passed away. But I have encountered next to nobody of that noble disposition. I am not a psychiatrist and maybe it could be the result of a traumatic undeserved guilt complex – but who knows, I found it somewhat exaggerated and unrealistic!