View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #399
threerings
Adventure Gamer for Life

I just finished the game. I enjoyed it quite a lot and can easily put it into a list of my favorite adventure games. It's not at the top of the list, but it's certainly on it.

I really enjoyed that it felt like a Jane Jenson game in some indefinable way. I like the gothic elements, by which I don't mean Goth subculture, but gothic as in Jane Eyre. I was really mostly satisfied by the gameplay. I really loved the Daedalus puzzles and the magic tricks were nicely original. Yes some of it was perhaps a little easy, but then again I rarely got stuck, which is pleasant.

I agree with others that it seems like the game was shortened and parts never made it to the screen. I wish it was longer and we had the opportunity to explore some of those locations that were teased. And although I appreciate the art style of the cutscenes, I felt doing them that way removed some of the immediacy of key scenes and threw me out of the story.

I have to chalk pretty much all my criticisms up to budget and development limitations. And I'm pretty ok with that. I'm glad the game was produced and what was there is certainly among the top of adventure games in terms of quality. And let's have a moment of deep appreciation for the voice acting. Fantastic all around with appropriate accents!

Finally, I feel really good about the ending, although I wish there was a little more at the very end. I'm satisfied
Spoiler:
that it had both a supernatural and real world explanation and feel that's appropriate for this world. I did figure out that it was both Laura and someone else and that it was Angela part of the way through.
I think that's a feature and not a big, since it's nice to do the detective work and get a fair chance of actually solving it yourself. I think people comparing it to Sixth Sense and such are kinda missing the point, as I don't think you're supposed to be shocked at the end. But I certainly didn't know what was going on for the first half and having two playable characters with drastically different interpretations of events was really fun for me.

I certainly hope there is a sequel, because I think the characters have great potential to carry more games.