View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
cbman

HOGs are already becoming less casual and it's not somethgin I like. A HOG is a fun time passer that I can dip into as I feel like it for an hour or so; an adventure game is a substansive experience that I make a time commitment to. I like both individually, in different ways, but these cross-over 'casual' games don't satisfy me on either level.

So I would say that what I don't like is clicking through a lot of extraneous, tacked on story, inventory puzzles etc. I play AGs for all that.

Sorry if this is glib but my idea of an excellent hidden object game is one that has static screens containing hidden objects that I am required to find. Preferably the static scenes should display interesting locations, a picture you wouldn't mind having on your desktop (without the extraneous hidden objects obviously). Throw the occassional door lock puzzle and so forth in for variety and voila: perfect. See the first Ravenhurst game for an excellent example.

Worst thing I can ever see in a Hidden Object game: an attempt to convince me that it is an adventure game.