View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #387
marvio
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Marvio - no offense but you trashing the story to be weak or horrible is a bit far fetched as you already admitted that you missed big parts of the plot and nothing really made sense to you. In order to criticize a story I would like the one giving the criticism actually have been following it. And just because some people don't like the ending it doesn't make the whole story bad.
UNDER FIRE!!

Sigh...

I just realized we may be talking about different things... Bear with me...

What I consider "story" is plot+character development.

Yes, I may have missed a couple of points of the plot, but even after you brought it to my attention, in the end, the plot is still lacking.

Spoiler:
Who cares if it was all Angela, a mix of Angela and his ex-wife, or just his ex-wife, in the end, all possibilities are equally as clichéd

Now, I don't mind when the plot itself is lacking, because unless you're talking about a detective story or a really, REALLY, clever plot, it's only there to further other things in the story, mainly, character development.

Let's take, for example, SCI-FI, in any of its forms, the great movie/books have some pretty basic plots, what's important are the interactions between characters, how they feel about it, and the journey they take from beginning to end.

To tell you the truth, as far as pure plot goes, it would be exceedingly hard for one to come up with a clever enough premise to hold the story together solely based on it, see later works from M. Night Shyamalan or even "Inception" as a proof of concept, in the case of Shyamalan, they are absolutely horrible, because he always rely on that last minute big twist and it never works (at least not since Sixth sense), and "Inception" is just meh, entertaining enough, sure, but no big deal ; Almost everything has been done, there are very few ways which an author can excite/surprise you with plot alone.

As I said, I'm fine with that, and to tell you the truth, at this point, I'm not as attentive to plot as I could be, just because of that.

So, that leaves us with character development, and the discovery journey we take with him/her/it; Not only finding out more about the character itself, but maybe even finding something out about ourselves, our condition as humans.

And there's where I think the "story" failed, the characters in this game are as one dimensional as a Hollywood action blockbuster, there's no depth to them, we know only marginally more about them at the end then we do half an hour in the game, and I'm only talking about Styles and Sam here, as the other characters are so cardboard like they might as well not have names, just give them numbers Which of course ties to the problem I have at the end, I had no connection with any of them therefore I don't care what happens.

Does that make sense?

PS> I'm having a third party weigh in this, my wife!! She's perfect too because this is going to be her first adventure, so she has none of the early, fond memories we have, which sometimes, I think, clouds our objectiveness

PS2> Do you know the quote in my signature? It's from a Brazilian writer, Clarisse Lispector, her style was much like the German neo-romantics, only that she wrote, for most part, in stream of conciousness, needless to say many of her books have no plot at all, they only exist to provoke thoughts in the reader, and never you felt unfufilled by one of her books, they are amazing!

PS3> damnn!! Also, note, I have no problem with mindless fun, I love the "Holywood action blockbusters", well a lot of them, I loved "Dumb and Dumber", I'm loving "Under a killing moon", but when you start goind the other way, for the lack of a better word, serious, you better deliver

Last edited by marvio; 03-09-2011 at 05:33 PM.