View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #381
marvio
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoecastillo View Post
Marvio -

First of all, I am far from a "dude." Second of all I am a trial lawyer who deals with serious real life stories that you could probably not even begin to imagine. Third of all - I haven't watched tv in about 8 years - it's piddly trash. Fourth of all, oooh - let me run and change my opinion because you disagree with me - I'll get right on that.

So, to reiterate for the rest of the world who thinks others are entitled to their own opinions - I LOVED the story of Gray Matter. See ya all when Black Mirror 3 comes out. Peace out.
WOW!

I either call everybody "dude" or "sir", the "dude" I picked up when living in LA, while going to music school, and the "sir" out of respect for people, I ususaly choose "dude" rather then "sir" as to imply some kind of connection/friendliness, as "sir" sounds too distant at times, specially in forums like this....

I think we have disagreed in the past, about much the same thing (story of a game), my post was not acusational, nor did I intend to sound condescending (and I just re-read it, all I said it's that the story was weak at best), but if it sounded that way I'm truly sorry, I rather wanted to open a debate about it.
I must admit having ulterior motives, I think adventure games really don't have half as good stories as we think they do, the fact that we're "living it" makes up for a lot of the fondness we feel about them, which is a good thing, but put in a book, with nothing but words to convey the message, the feeling of involvment with the story, most would fail miserably. I do understand that it is a different medium, and the story has to be crafted to fit said medium, but even a good character driven movie, which most adventure games fall under, could be "translated" into a book and survive it, my fear is that adventure games really can't, there's not enough substance there to make the transition.

I'm yet to have the same intelectual expirience from an adventure as I get from a good book, and I think that's something we should be striving for, not going backwards, as I feel this game did in relation to, say, GK3, which in itself wasan't all that great, but it was a step in the right direction.

-Dude