View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #73
ADan
overall swell guy

Thank you, Zobraks!

It's very much appreciated, especially coming from someone who is so obviously crazy about AGs (or quite probably just plain crazy) and has a great sense of humor.

Of course I cannot take the credit all for myself. There has been a rather intense process of editing that involved Deadalic's Poki (the author/creator/lead artist) and Dominik as well as AG's own Jack Allin who had to put up with any crazy stuff I came up with and hone it down to an acceptable level. (I reckon at least a third of the lines were altered in the process, alterations ranging from fixing of typos, straightening out sentence structure, fine tuning vocabulary to adjusting more radical jokes to a slightly more mainstream taste in humor).

But of course there are the voice actors as well who IMO did a great job in capturing each character's unique and individual wording, stylistic level and use of language in general.

I have to say that when I first got in contact with the game (my wife played the German demo when I was in the middle of translating The Whispered World) my immediate reaction was "this game is near impossible to translate". A year later I was offered the job and was confident enough to at least give it a shot.

I liken it to the challenge a translation/localization of Monty Python's Flying Circus would pose. (I'm not talking about subtitles which I consider to be a completely different thing). TV station Sat 1 tried a German dubbed version in 1998 but it just didn't work due to the inherently British character of most of the jokes and personnel. (How do you translate and dub a Scottish person for example? As a Bavarian? Doesn't really work).

So I was absolutely aware that we were taking a risk in attempting an interpretation of the original humor in English (or more appropriately American English) but I really hope that we've come up with a convincing result that works for everyone - well, for those who appreciate this kind of humor anyway.

Thanks again and to everyone else out there: I hope you'll enjoy playing Edna as much as Zobraks seems to be.

Cheers, Dan.