View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
thejobloshow

It works for the RPG (which is really where the open world genre began) so I see no problem with that being expanded into the adventure genre. In a way, some of the early AGI Sierra games felt very open world. The first King's Quest particularly.

I don't think it's that difficult to achieve but just really expensive. Ever since GTA: Vice City I thought how silly it was that people were just using this open world concept to only make GTA clones like Mafia or Scarface or Saint's Row.

Developers have the tools and technology to create a living breathing world but I guess that price tag goes up when you consider all the elements that would need to go into an adventure game. If I want this open world adventure to be good, I want it to be flexible and have a lot of freedom and there's a lot more time and effort and money needed for that rather than just creating an amazing looking world and stripping the gameplay down to combat and fetch quests.

It's possible though and I really want someone to take that risk... I mean, Capcom has been taking huge risks in this genre and they're a MASSIVE developer. They could pull it off.