View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #710
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Default The Hastings Moth Project

A few months ago, when I was visiting the local Children's Library.

[digression]Don't ignore the children's section of libraries and bookshops. There are a lot of highly talented writers working in the field. Series you might want to try are Time Riders by Alex Scarrow (time travel sci-fi), Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (modern setting dark fantasy with a wry sense of humour), Hell's Underground by Alan Gibbons (Horror. First book is called Scared to Death) and Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (post apocalyptic sci-fi, but long after so civilization rebuilt on different lines)[/digression]
I saw this on a nearby wall.

After some investigation I found out that this was part of the Hastings Moths Project an urban art project. Essentially, the setup is simple. They put a stencil on a wall that has been discoloured by pollution and use a high-pressure hose to "clean" the area within the stencil. Unlike more traditional graffiti, removing it would simply involve cleaning the rest of the wall in the same way.

There are 7 sites in total and I managed to track them all down and take my own pictures as follows.

Old Town

Town Centre

North end of Town

Hidden Back Street

Bowling Green Hut

Sea Front

In the conception, the execution and the look, this is the sort of art I love.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree