View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
AnneS

I'm delighted that this is the next community play through; my participation in the Santitarium one was waylaid by a combination of technical difficulties and real life. I've never played The Longest Journey but it's something I've been meaning to do for ages.

Anyway, I've now played through the prologue and Chapter One and I'm intrigued so far. The visual design of the game is excellent (even if the characters haven't aged as well as the beautiful environments) and the plot has certainly sucked me in. The world building is great so far, and I liked the background references to future history. Nice straight-forward control system as well.

On the less good side, I can see why some people complain about this game having LONG dialogues. Not that I mind having a lot of talking in games, and on the whole I like the dialogue so far. However, April frequently banters back and forth with people for some time without the player having anything to do, even choosing another dialogue option. I confess that I sometimes found my interest wandering during those sequences. Also, I haven't run into many actual puzzles so far, but I imagine there will be more as the story goes on.

A question for those who have played before: is this a game where you can get stuck if you don't do the right things in the right order? I think I may have missed some possible activities in Chapter One and I'm worried it might come back and bite me later. Death I don't mind; at least if I'm dead I know I need to reload. (Unless I'm playing Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island or something.) Dead ends, on the other hand, drive me up the wall.

Now I just need to wait impatiently for next week! And make a resolution not to disappear half way through this play through when Dragon Age II comes out.