View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Dwagginz
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I think that the Harry Potter series is so generic and uses so many fantasy conventions that you could just as easilly create a brand new game with all of the same tropes. Obviously, it wouldn't have the same commercial draw but from an artistic or gameplay viewpoint there's nothing there that you couldn't do with say, Simon the Sorcerer. .
I have to disagree, at least to some degree. Whether Harry Potter is generic or not is completely irrelevant. People don't flock to Harry Potter because it's about a whiny brat, they flock to it because it's popular and because they 'like it' (Snrk).

If it was done in a manner reminiscent of Keepsake, with beautiful pre-rendering, then I think it could easily work. Yes, the puzzles would have to be simpler, the interaction perhaps more visual and so forth, but a Harry Potter adventure game could work brilliantly.