View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
diego

The Whispered World, because:

- comeback of a glorious 2D hand-painted backdrops, in a semi-artistic style yet still zany like The Curse of Monkey Island

- not jumping on the bandwagon of babynursing the player - puzzles are done in a thoughtful manner, keeping the difficulty enough not to become "errand quest" and still not being impossible to solve. Puzzles also kept the sparkle of "golden age" "insane" logic like those seen in Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island, and many people wrongly interpreted that as "illogical" puzzles while it was only being faithful to roots. Also, the game felt original and fresh nevertheless of many obvious LucasArts and Sierra influences.

- duo of protagonists - personally, i haven't played lately game that has "that something" when it comes to identyfining and caring for characters, something we can say when speaking of Gabriel Knight, Guybrush Threepwood, April Ryan... You may like or hate Sadwick's voice but it's by no means "from the mill" character. Also, it wasn't since Torin's Passage and Torin and Boogle, or Toonstruck and Drew and Flux that we've seen such an interesting pair of characters that solve puzzles together.

Black Mirror 2 is another good game this year, on a totally different ground of mystery and thriller, reminding me of Dark Seed or Gabriel Knight, although it can become tedious and incosistent as the story develops but i think this German team will make even better games since Black Mirror 2 improved some aspects of Mata Hari.

All in all, 2010. gave us less quantity than 2009. but it wasn't without the quality. I hope that we can somehow see German and other non-English releases sooner, since for example both The Whispered World and Black Mirror 2 were published in 2009. in Germany and also, two of mine most expected games in 2011 - Book of Unwritten Tales and Edna & Harvey were already published. Also, it will be remembered as a year where casual games and adventure games strongly intercrossed their ways making the influence on the genre, in that manner that we can ask ourselves - are adventure games becoming casual, or casual games are becoming adventures?

Last edited by diego; 12-10-2010 at 11:41 AM.