View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #17
Lagomorph

Default Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter (1986)

Space Quest: The Sarien Encounter (1986)

With Space Quest, the second quest series, Sierra began to develop a new sense of self-awareness. The numerous deaths start to become part of the humor. References across games become more common. One death even involves pushing a button that sends you to the castle in King’s Quest I.

Perhaps the best comparison point for Space Quest is its contemporary King’s Quest III. Both games use the AGI engine and are comparable in graphics and other qualities. On one hand, Space Quest can be seen as “King’s Quest in space.” But on the other, Space Quest takes the genre in new directions with its humor and parody. However, I don’t really think Space Quest is that much funnier than the early King’s Quests. Space Quest certainly aims for more humor, but I must admit to finding the antiquated idiosyncrasies of the King’s Quest series to be equally, if not more, humorous. Nonetheless, the spirit of parody is a welcome addition to the genre.

Another point of departure is the structure of the world. Exploration wise, Space Quest is a more linear game. Once you leave a main area, you don’t return. This provides for more variety in the locales and also eliminates much of the dead space found in the King’s Quest games, where there are “dead” screens that offer limited interactivity but which must be crossed again and again. The side effect is that it develops one of Sierra’s most controversial characteristics: an abundance of dead ends. Space Quest I has a number of dead ends that are easy to get into. However, you generally realize it once you get in one. Personally, I kind of just brushed them off as an amusing quirk.

Graphically, Space Quest doesn’t quite rise to the artistic level of King’s Quest III. Frankly, many of screens in Space Quest are a bit drab and ugly. There also seems to be less music (with the exception of the wonderful bar scene). The atmosphere overall is a little lacking.

Space Quest I
is the easiest game up to this point, though there is one object that is very hard to find. The necessity of playing the slot machine is also rather annoying. I believe this is also the first Sierra adventure to incorporate an arcade sequence (the skimmer). I found the sequence to be a welcome diversion, but I understand that many consider it frustrating. The game is around the same length as King’s Quest III, which is short by later standards but which I think is fine for what it is.

Space Quest I isn’t the most compelling start, but there is enough potential there to make me eager to see what the rest of the series can do.

Hardest puzzle:
Spoiler:
Finding the piece of glass—You can’t see it in the original. I had to play part of the remake to solve this puzzle.

Dead ends:
Spoiler:
Entering the caves before getting the glass. Leaving the key in the skimmer. Not getting the jetpack. Not getting the grenades (you only have one chance). I may have encountered more that I don’t remember.

Best part:
Spoiler:
Defeating the spider and the monster at the same time. The King’s Quest Easter egg.

Worst part:
Spoiler:
Slot machine—so tedious.

My final score: 193/202