View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #208
rtrooney
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgar View Post
Rather, the correct question about the game that needs to be posed is this: is Gray Matter a great game? The answer to this question is, of course, a resounding and an irrefutable yes! It is inevitable that a few gamers will be compelled to dismiss this game because it has not matched up against some misguided expectations of what it must be after years of hype and anticipation.http://www.adventureclassicgaming.co...e/reviews/620/
I admit that I have not played the game yet. Will not play a pirated version. And, I find the exchange rate a little steep for purchasing an imported version of the game. So I am patiently waiting for a North America release.

That said, I have been following this thread closely, as I did the other GM thread, and I find the above quote to be misguided. While the game itself may be "loved" by many, I don't recall it being called "great" by many. Great implies taking story, graphics, music et al to a whole new level. This game, while being extraordinarily entertaing, does not seem to have done any of these things.

As for there being misguided expectations after (many, many) years of hype....Well, Uh....Yeah! Of course there were expectations. Given the amount of time the game was in development, albeit in several different iterations, and given the quality we "expect" from Jane Jensen, there were expectations that a superior product would be delivered. From most comments, a thoroughly acceptable product has been delivered. But nothing great.

Don't think that anyone would deny that, despite the excellent story, the 3D graphics in GK3 were borderline horrible. Comments suggest that there hasn't been substantial improvement.

I will play the game when it becomes legitimately available to me, and at a price I want to pay. Whether the publisher discovers the folly of its ways and makes that happen remains to be seen.

Finally, and I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but the fans of Jane Jensen and the adventure media have all but portrayed Jane Jensen as the "idiot savant" of adventure game design. That is unfair to her.

She has apparently delivered an acceptable game, loved by many. Great, it is not! But still a victory of sorts.