View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #143
Borgar

Exerpts from a couple of nicely written player reviews I found to be interesting:

"This game makes a lousy first impression. In the tutorial section, I found the animations for the first character you control, Samantha, to be horribly overdone. The voice acting for Sam in that tutorial is pretty bad, too, and the fact that they insist on showing a close-up of her face on the side panel (hard to describe...remember how in the first Gabriel Knight game they'd show a close up of Gabe's face and the face of the person he was talking to? They do something similar here) heightens the bad impression, because at least in English the lip movement doesn't match well at all with the dialogue.
That was on Saturday. I was bitterly disappointed at having pissed away $55 on a game that I wasn't sure I wanted to ever boot up again...but I decided to give it a go again on Sunday night. As I wound my way through the first chapter, damned if Jane Jensen didn't start weaving some of that magic spell she's got over me, and damned if this game didn't start to get really good
."

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ad.php?t=62204

"The most glaring criticisms are the game’s graphics and animations. (Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way, shall we?) If you are expecting an adventure game with cutting edge graphics and animation, you will not find it here. What you can expect, however, is a game that is rich in story, mystery, and the supernatural. In other words, it’s all the things that fans of Jane Jensen’s games have come to expect. Gray Matter tells a beautifully crafted story with interwoven themes of science vs. magic, love and obsession, death and forgiveness. Set in Oxford, the game is steeped in history and atmosphere, and features real locations from around England rendered into beautiful, softly lit backdrops."

http://shezcrafti.com/review-gray-ma...orth-the-wait/