View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #77
millenia
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
well she IS an ex-goth college-age woman so that's not really unexpected. I actually liked how both she and Styles showed their flaws from the start and became more likeable as we get to know them, all too often games feature characters that are either too squeaky clean or too far the opposite with no middle ground or character development. this being a Jane Jensen game though, character development should not come as a surprise. just look at how much of a jerk Gabriel Knight was in the early parts of the first game

on an unconnected note I'd just like to add how much I enjoyed some of the subtle (and some not so subtle) in-jokes.
I am very much agreeing with rayvio about everything in this thread really, I even like gnomes .

The characters were a definite upside. But nowadays I have noticed that I often like characters that other people seem to dislike. I hate the goody-two-shoes they feed to us and I always try to remind people about Gabriel Knight and his behaviour. And Gabriel Knight is a fantastic character. Sam and Styles are both very well fleshed characters that feel real and their chemistry is great. They work so well that I chuckled several times just to one word or a tone of voice when they said something.

In-jokes and jokes in general were just super. And it didn't cheapen the overall plot or mystery at all. The game wasn't a comedy.

---

And seriously, Lost Horizon 87pts? The game was very average in every aspect. Only thing better than average was the overall smoothness, which is nice but hardly gamebreaking. Gray Matter or TLJ are imo 90+ games no matter how you look at them. I consider Gray Matter better than Dreamfall, Still Life or Culpa Innata which are the only adventures I've given 4,5/5 or 9/10 after 2000. (Noir and TLJ are 5/5 and 10/10 and from 1999)