View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #19
millenia
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85 View Post
I have no idea why I think this way, but I never got that nice feeling while playing either. I have completed Lost Horizon a while ago, and while the concept was nice, I felt like I had just finished an unimpressive book.

I'm playing Alter Ego as well, at the moment, but it doesn't feel anything like Black Mirror. I would compare both to gameplay similar to Black Mirror 2. So if you liked that one more than the first game, then you'll probably love both.
I get you. Playing Lost Horizon now and it's nice but that's it. Will see when I progress with the story more but I don't find it amazing or anything. The silly picking up everything, digging through every trash can and carrying around planks and road signs I don't mind that much, that's one of the styles of adventure games, but the fact that I have a small goal and 100 silly obstacles getting to it is kinda getting old already. I'd like more progression to the story but at chapter 4 I feel like after the opening demo I've moved forward in the story once.

About the obstacles part: some silly puzzles are fine, like in SF2 you tied a cell phone to a cat, silly but okay and somewhat logical in a weird way. But Lost Horizon has loads of puzzles that are just completely absurd. The big guy adventurer travels around the world without as much as pocket knife with him. And no passport or money either, ofc not. Then basically you need a pen but instead of buying, borrowing or stealing one, you need to get a stick from this guy and ink from that guy. And in order to get the ink you need to get they guy potatoes that you have to go dig from the ground but they are guarded by a guy that you have distract once again with something equally stupid. So far this has been 80% of the game. I don't mind a few roadblock puzzles here and there but they can be done just a little better than this. At least half the game should revolve around the actual plot.

On the other hand, Indy feeling, the smooth interface from Secret Files and most of the dialog I find good. I guess the game will get better when the plot actually advances a bit but I doubt it will totally redeem all the stupid in it.

I liked Black Mirror 2 more than the original really but mostly because the original wasn't so smooth and the ending was way too obvious (I guessed the ending in BM2 also but it wasn't as painfully clear from the second chapter). BM2 got some negative response about having roadblock puzzles and being dumbed down but honestly I found it interesting and almost completely logical, very different than Lost Horizon.

I think I will try out Alter Ego at some point too but going to play Broken Sword DC after this (played the original just once years ago), already started it out a bit a couple days ago and despite being aged it still easily outshines Lost Horizon.