View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #1992
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Since I got TR:Legend for free with Guardian of Light, I ran through it for laughs. Despite confirming everything I hated about the TR formula (camera deaths, terrible combat) I was curious to see how the story ended. I decided to skip Anniversary and jump right to Underworld to see the plot's conclusion.

Underworld is beautiful to look at and leaps and bounds more fun to play than Legend. I begin to hate any completionist tendencies as I spend ages looking for everywhere Lara can go in a level and still wind up many treasures short of a full set. Both treasures and parkour elements are much better hidden in Underworld. I can see myself going back with a walkthrough later, to get them all.

The combat is still terrible though. After the string of cover shooters I've recently played (ME2, The Saboteur, Mafia 2) I find myself completely unused to old school DIY cover and being rushed by opponents. Combat animations are also terrible with characters striking truly weird, how-does-their-spine-do-that poses or pulling The Exorcist head turns.

I just want to turn off enemies completely and 'finger bang' ... my keyboard, exploring. Much more satisfying than shooting cloned minions, spiders, sharks and those poor, poor tigers.

Also: Lara is the hottest 42 year old woman I've ever seen.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 10-12-2010 at 09:53 AM.