View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #974
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
But, lest we forget, that was a very different time and AGs just don't move that much money anymore.
Conversely, lest we forget, today is a very different time - thus a different state of mind - from the 90s but AGs in general never made the attempt to adapt to the change, to advancing technologies, market shifts and fluctuations, and the general zeitgeist of how games can be presented and experienced.

This is why we rarely ever see an adventure game covered, much less reviewed, on a continuous basis by sites like The New York Times, Slate, and BBC News. The world of gaming is all pervasive and ubiquitous in the 21st century, and you know it is because those sites reporting it aren't dedicated to gaming but have been including gaming reportage in their technology or art or culture pages for the past decade.

Quote:
You'll need something not much short of a revolution in the gaming business to get AGs back in the big league (or even mid-league). I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but with things the way they are, I doubt any of those with the capabilities would invest in something that is almost certainly not give as much back as something already mainstream. With the risk that it'll actually be a financial fiasco (critical and financial success are two very different things, after all).
The questions I'm curious to ask many AG developers and publishers that once thrived in the 90s is - Why didn't you guys adapt to the changes? Why didn't you embrace consoles like Playstation and XBox when they were becoming big? Why did you stop experimenting and innovating and re-conceptualizing?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien