View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #972
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
People tend to forget that the adventure genre was mainstream and moved a lot of money in the 90's.
(first of all, sorry if I misunderstood your point. But anyways...)
But, lest we forget, that was a very different time and AGs just don't move that much money anymore. You'll need something not much short of a revolution in the gaming business to get AGs back in the big league (or even mid-league). I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but with things the way they are, I doubt any of those with the capabilities would invest in something that is almost certainly not give as much back as something already mainstream. With the risk that it'll actually be a financial fiasco (critical and financial success are two very different things, after all).

Again, I'm not saying I don't wish for it to be so again, it's just that because AGs had a big market and budgets was because the gaming market overall was very different. The supply was much more narrow. You can't draw any conclusions about the plausibility of the same today.

Personally I'm slightly bored with 2.5D. However, I think it has much to do with, as others said, with the amount of polish these games are given though. Many games feel just like repetition, the surroundings are just stages and the puzzles glued on. You (or I) don't get immersed at all that well in a static (or semi-static) 2(.5)D environment. Whereas GK3 had that beautiful world that you were a part of. With the smallish budget and the team that Gray Matter has, I'm awaiting great things from the story and characters, but something that's just above average from the rest. I doubt that GM will be close in the greatness that GKs had, as Jane isn't at all as involved with the actual (day-to-day or whatever) process. Too much is left to others. Still, I haven't got much doubt that it will be amongst the best AGs in quite a while (even this millenium, I dare suggest).