View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #970
DustCropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
You are absolutely right. All Gabriel Knight games were big budget productions, and all of them used the latest technologies available at the time. Dispite GK3 serious technical problems, that game had a huge budget for its time and was very ambitious. If it was today, a Gabriel Knight game would be closer to a Heavy Rain than a Gray Matter in terms of technology, ambition and investment (not in gameplay mechanics, obviously). People tend to forget that the adventure genre was mainstream and moved a lot of money in the 90's.
Yes, definitely. I miss playing big-budget adventure games that were polished with high production values and cutting edge technology. Modern AGs definitely don't have the same polish and I always get a sense that developers are cutting corners left and right, and obviously that's because there's a lot less money involved.

Anyways, this discussion made me think of the video interviews that Adventure Gamers did with JJ last year. When asked about the debate between 2D vs 3D, she had this to say:
Quote:
GK3 was such a complicated game to stage because you always, you know... in terms of an adventure game, it doesn't really add so much that it's worth all the time and effort that you have to put into it to make the camera move... it's just overkill. Personally I'd rather spend that production budget on more story and more puzzles, because I think what an adventure gamer really wants is just a beautiful environment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAgyoYenJE8#t=5m11s