View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
rottford

It wasn't the controls that ruined it for me (Grim Fandango, which has the same control scheme, is my favorite adventure), nor was it the bad graphics (I've never complained about graphics in the past). The story was kind of weird, but I accepted it with little difficulty.

What made me hate EFMI was the lack of atmosphere. Every MI game featured scenes with so many intense moods, some scary, some pleasant, almost all of them memorable. EFMI didn't offer the same feel of any previous game. Even though SOMI, LR and COMI all were somewhat cartoonish, none of them ended up feeling like a silly Saturday morning cartoon (like EFMI did). They were lighthearted, but still managed to be rather dark. Not the case with EFMI.

(Case in point: I love revisiting Melee Island every time I start up SOMI. And although I was looking forward to revisiting the locale in EFMI, I was completely disappointed with the "cartoony caricature" the game presented.)