View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Fien
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I wasn't suggesting that casual games should be used as stepping stones / gateway drugs to "full fledged" adventures. But there are a lot of developers of casual games who are experimenting with injecting more story and adventure-like gameplay into an otherwise casual format. The idea that some elements that we consider to be adventure game conventions (such as story and puzzle solving) can work in a casual game certainly hasn't been abandoned; if anything, I think we're seeing more of it now than ever. What I don't get is why many adventure gamers seem to be offended by this.
So I was right, you WERE talking about Drawn c.s. and not about adventures at all.

I agree that we're seeing more of this. One reason why adventure gamers may be offended by this (but I'm just speaking for me, n=1), is that the gap between casuals and adventures is downplayed by advocates of the shallow casual games, such as yourself. If elements like story, puzzlesolving, inventory management are used AGAINST adventures ("hey, look! us casuals offer the same great stuff!") then the evasive but essential quality of adventures is the most important discerning feature left.