View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #917
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Do you know something? It's just a game. It's not brain surgery or the Cuban Missile Crisis. It doesn't have to be sorted out NOWNOWNOW. It'll be out when it's out. Or, you know, not. Why So Srs?

For my money (which isn't much, these days), I'll be happy just to see the game come out sometime in the next twelve months and not be as disappointingly clunky as so many people found the trailer. I figure, if they can manage to put out a game at least as good as the last few DTP AGs, then it won't be a total waste, and if the delay is because they're trying to Get It Right, then This Is Not A Bad Thing. Which would you prefer: instant gratification or knowing that you won't have to download several patches to correct what didn't get fixed before they shipped to meet their original deadline?

Yes, I know the game has been in various stages of development for half a decade (has it really been that long? Anyone care to check? I seem to remember 2007...), but that's not really so unusual for a big production. Need I dredge up the spectre of that most holy of holies (to me, anyway), The Longest Journey? Or Dreamfall, for that matter? Sure, lots of people groused even then, but ultimately, the games were pretty special. I can afford to wait a while if Gray Matter is being given the kind of careful consideration that the TLJ games were. That's the bare minimum quality of storytelling I'm looking for, so I can afford to wait until the game itself is tweaked just so.

Maybe TLJ is a bad example. Look how long it took for Heavy Rain or Alan Awake to get where they are, and they didn't have to switch dev companies midstream. Another fine example is Still Life II. Now there's a game that came out WAY too fast, I think we can all agree.

My point is just, BREATHE.

Shutting up now.